Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sunday hike at John Bryan was cold but really worth it. As the sun was getting closer to the horizon, the quality of the light was just great. Setting up the tripod was an added bonus to get the shot at f16 for the best depth of field. Deb was getting the shpilkes near the end of the hike thinking that we would never make it back to the car.

John Bryan was the first place that I ever camped as a kid and it was in the winter as well, so it holds a special place. I would hate to follow in the footsteps of Cornelius Darnell and attempt to jump the gorge with a whole tribe of (angry) Native Americans chasing me. But then even without the tribe, jumping the gorge would still not be my first choice for a fun afternoon.

As the photos show, a leasurly hike does make a fun afternoon. According to what I am reading, hiking for a few hours gives the same calorie consumption as running for 5 miles. However it is decidedly more fun.


The light coming down through the gorge are was really golden and bright making the water and the surrounding trees seem to come alive.

It only lasts for a few moments and then it is gone so you have to enjoy it while it lasts. The camera lets me enjoy it vicariously a little longer but it is no substitute for actually being there and feeling the cold air freeze you.



2 comments:

Suzanne Ally said...

Ron, thank you for freezing while I sit here and enjoy the gorgeous photos! Cup o' hot tea fer ye?
xo

Luke said...

I always wondered about how Cornelius made the jump. It seems like a good distance. I'm thinkin' either his pursuers gave him an adrenaline rush and he went for it or perhaps back then the gorge was a bit skinnier back then since we have had years of erosion.

Either way, it's a pretty amazing feat.